Sunday, July 8, 2012

"BROKEN HEARTED"


Good morning to all of you out there in cyber land. I hope you were in the house of God Sunday and that you can say you had a true encounter with the Holy Spirit. If you are not attending a house of God where you can feel Him as soon as you drive up on the grounds, you need to find a new place of worship, or you need to ask yourselves if you are going with an open heart to experience Him, or if your heart is filled with so many other things you cannot hear Him anymore.

Broken Hearted” Have you ever had your heart broken? Have you ever broken the heart of another? Do you remember what that felt like to have your heart broken? Have you ever said, I would never wish that pain on anyone?

I really feel like God is wanting someone out there to take a good look at me and my situation. This is the third week in a row, He has given me a message to share with you, that kind of relates to me. This week I'm referring to the loss of use of my legs. The reference is, you don't miss something until you don't have it.

By this point, you are probably asking what is he talking about. This Wednesday I was able to attend church. While sitting there, I was beside a man in his 80's. This man of God, has never missed Sunday's church in over 50 years. As I looked at him, I was overcome with emotion. Here sat a man, with so much knowledge, so much wisdom. He has taught Sunday school. He has been a deacon for I don't know how many years. He has loved his Lord and served Him for decades. Now the years have caught up to him and his shell is giving out on him, yet here he sits, with a giant print Bible, trifocal glasses and a super magnifying glass with a light that will only show about one word at a time, trying to read his Bible. He is going blind. His eyes are going fast.

I am broken hearted. I am sure this man has read his Bible forward, backward and any other “ward” you can come up with, and still he hungers for God to speak to him, so he “works” at reading God's holy word. You see, he is trying to use what sight he has left to get all of God's word in he can, before the light of his eyes is turned off. He will be unable to read his Bible and that is what he will miss the most. The loss of his eyes, even at his age is devastating him. He is already regretting what he will no longer be able to do for God. Just as I think often of all that I would be doing if I could walk. I think about this man that cannot get enough of God's word and soon will no longer be able to read it, and how many leave it on the shelf to collect dust and and don't realize what they are missing. If you were told you sight was failing would His word be important to you then? What if God treated you like Paul and took your sight instantly?

James 4:13-14 says, “13 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit"; 14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.”
Romans 12:3 says, “For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.” Ephesians 4:30 says, “ And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” Genesis 6:6 says. “And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.” 2 Chronicles 7:14 says, “if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” Psalms 34:17-18 says, “ 17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles. 18 The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit.”

Where is your heart today? Is it harden by this world we live in? Has circumstances caused you to build a wall around your heart so no one, or nothing can touch it? How long has it been since you have given thought to what the sins in your life are doing to the heart of God? Does it matter to you? The next time your child does something that makes your heart ache, stop for a moment and reflect on how God feels about the things you have done that day, week and so on.

Lamentations 3:21-23 says, “ 21 This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. 22 Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. 23 They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.”

While my heart breaks for my friend and brother in Christ, I know that one day soon, he will meet his Heavenly Father face to face and not need glasses of any kind. He will be in the presence of the Word and the Word will be with him. Praise His Name.

Remember: If your heart breaks, the best one to fix it, is the One who made it. Seek the Lord and He will never fail you.

Until next time, please pray for each other, our country and me, as I continue to pray for each of you. Love in CHRIST,

Brian Hanvey
Associate Pastor
Bethel Baptist Church

No comments: