Thursday, August 4, 2011

“Schizophrenia”


Good morning everyone. Another week has rolled around and it is time
for a special message from God. I realize you have two choices when
you receive these, one is to just delete, the other is to read them. I pray
you read them and receive a blessing and word from God. If that
happens, God’s will has been accomplished and I have been obedient
and of some service.

Today’s topic will probably draw some “snickers”, but, read with an
open mind, I think you will get the point. One of the biggest issues I
hear from others who do not attend church, (and a lot who do), is
people are hypocrites. The complaint is that people appear one way on
Sunday at church, and then when you see them walking down the
street, or at Krogers, they pass you up like a stranger. Think about it.
How many people do you know who have one face for work, one for
friends, one for church and another for family? Why do we feel like we
must “act” one way or the other to conform to the “crowd”? Let’s take a
look at what God has to say about this.

Colossians 3:8-9 says, “8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger,
wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another,
since you have put off the old man with his deeds,” James 1:8 says, “ 8 he is a
double-minded man, unstable in all his ways”. Isaiah 29:13 says, “13 Therefore the Lord
said: "Inasmuch as these people draw near with their mouths And honor Me with their lips,
But have removed their hearts far from Me, And their fear toward Me is taught by the
commandment of men,” Mark 7:6 says, “ 6 He answered and said to them, "Well did
Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: 'This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.”

Do you know someone who attends church on Sunday, appears very
“religious”, and then just the night before you could have found them
out at the “club” drinking and using every vulgarity and profane word
known to man? With one mouth they praise and tell God how much
they love Him, and then that same mouth spits outs such “filthy” words,
puts in smoke, drinks, drugs, gossip and so many other things that tear
a person down, physically and spiritually. Are you maybe a person like
that? It is with great sadness and humility that I admit, I once was
included it this group. Many years ago as a young adult I used church as
a social gathering. It wasn’t until my mid twenties did I really accept
Christ and began seeking His ways in my life.

God’s word tell us, if we are really saved, we will “put off the old man
with his deeds”. There will be those who do and will say, “you are
judging me, or don’t start judging me”, and that is not what I am doing
at all. God is the one and only judge that holds eternity in His hands.
But God did tell us how to be “fruit inspectors” and to know people by
their fruit. Most of us either are, or have been guilty of showing more
than one personality at a time. God’s word reminds us that He sees and
knows everything and that kind of life style not only hurts us, our
testimony, our church and those around us.

I am not saying I am perfect now, nor will I ever be, nor am I telling you
that you should be perfect. What I am saying is if you truly are a child of
God, you know the bad things in your life that you should clean up.
Some of these things we need God’s help to clean up, but you can do
much on your own,,,,,,,,if pleasing God really matters to you.

Remember: God sees all of us, but only the “right” one will spend
eternity with Him.

Until next time, please pray for each other and me, as I continue to pray
for each of you.

Love in CHRIST,

Brian Hanvey
Associate Pastor
bethelbaptistchurchtn.com

No comments: